I came up with a broad list of things I want to aim for each day of NaNo. So here goes the first of 30 check ins.
- Up early – YES! It was 6:30am on a Sunday morning. Technically a sleep in given week days I’m aiming for 5:00am.
- Morning Pages – YES! I’ve done it for the other two NaNo campaigns – wouldnt have it any other way.
- No internet until word count reached – YES! It was a little after 6:30pm when I finally turned it back on at the power point. Would have been a much different day had it been turned on.
- 2000 words per day (or more) – YES. Clocked a little over 2300 words. Impressed considering the frustration levels.
- No sugar – NO! Given I fell asleep before I could finish the Tim Tams and the Portello last night and there were still choc chip muffins kicking around from the KOP yesterday.
- Walk where possible – YES! We went for a short walk up the hill and back again. It was walking out the drive way I got the scene to get the ball rolling tomorrow morning.
- Eat Sensibly – KINDA. Ate sensible breakfast and it went down hill from there.
- Maximise opportunities for creative headspace. While I was burning music I wasn’t playing music and it near did my head in. I have to have music playing while I am writing. It was the Rolling Stones today. I also took time to mull at the washing line this morning. And there’s plenty more where that came from!
I went into today having gleaned yesterday afternoon the deeper theme of the novel. I knew it was there – I just couldn’t remember it.Thus I had one of the big hooks settled in my mind when I began writing today. I was also really excited and raring to go.
World building. I actually had to get the index cards out and get it sorted in my mind – just how all the hierachies work and generations – and what they are alphabetically if Karu is a Delta generation. I also had to prise apart the subtle differences between Daho’s motivations and Engi’s motivations so I could then let the Council of Elders erupt in an unprecendented argument.
Picking up where I left off. I literally finished where my final thought landed last year. Unlike my habit of finishing off each day on a bit of a hook – there was nothing at the end of my manuscript. To make matters worse I had to wind Shet’s experience in with Karu’s when their minds meet for the first time. Nothing like making it really hard for yourself!
The story took a complete weird turn. Karu almost killed (as the bats outside my window start attacking each other?) which gives Baji good reason for his disappearance, or to be hanging in the background to protect him? Daho got outsed as the Keeper of the Etheric Flow and I have a whole new set of characters – having finally named the Council of Elders – all twelve of them.
I open with a feast scene with the Empress inviting the remaining 10 council members to all get up and have a say about what to do with Karu. I have noted on m index cards their factional alignment- but we’ll see what happens when they do actually have chance to have a say on the page?
Also need to find my notes on culture shock and note down the symptoms.