Gratefully my business plan was rather specific and itemised what I wanted to achieve under some broad headings. Here we go for a look at what happened in the first month of the year and what I’m aiming for in the second.
Reading Goals– Read three books a month (or a minimum of 900 pages) – A short story a day for a month
Books read this month past:
- The Shining – Stephen King
- Stop Me – Richard Jay Parker
- From Dark Places (Anth) – Emma Newman
- One Book, Many Brisbanes (Anth) – various
I also got half way through HitchHiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
Books to be read in the coming month:
- HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
- Possession: a love story – A. S. Byatt
- Cat’s Eyes – Margaret Atwood
And a short story anthology (I haven’t decided yet)
The short story reading was going great guns until I hit the current anthology and have been struggling to face up to reading each morning. Resolution: get a new bloody anthology to read!
- I’m struggling with being as attentive as I need to be with my blog. I’m rarely hitting the pre-req of three blog posts a week – even with a weekly fiction piece and an old WA column. Unless I make blogging a priority it is not going to happen. The old WA columns I’ve posted so far have generated some interesting discussions – as I have new readers and new writing friends from a year ago.
- 365 Day Photo Challenge is dragging and I’m wondering if it is time to take a break from something which is quite obviously not fitting into the mix. I keep being dragged down by the things “I’m meant to be doing an not” which is a mindset I’d prefer to do without.
- Have approached a new editing friend who is setting up a blog about writing a guest post for her.
For the coming month:
- Pre-post the old WA columns.
- Give the Photo Challenge a break
- Follow up Abigail about the guest post.
- Put down some thoughts for a blog make over.
Writing– A writing exercise every morning – Fiction Friday/Friday flash twice a month – Submit one story for publication a month.
- I haven’t quite got into doing writing exercises in the morning yet. I have been struggling to get the balance between writing and editing correct. Again, like blogging, it is making writing the priority and not editing.
- For the past two Tuesday I have been logging in and doing the writing races on the Australian Writers Marketplace – to give at least dedicate one portion of the week to writing (a bit like Friday evenings used to be.) The first week I wrote some Hartog and the following week returned to Second Chance.
- Took Pearls of Wisdom to writers group, along with Summer Girl (more on that below) – Pearls got the thumbs up.
- The much maligned 12.10 of my novella was written and now there is an empty space as I try and work out what needs to go in the final two episodes.
- I have decided to dedicate the Hartog series to #FridayFlash and haven’t done any fiction Friday – though have had ideas floating around. Friday’s are now dedicated to doing stuff at Dylan’s school, so Thursday might need to be come the day of fiction writing.
- Nothing submitted for publication this month – going to make up for it with two subs next month. I did do the required edits for the two stories which are due to be published – The Chameleon in Thieves and Scoundrels will be released on 31st March.
For the coming month:
- Dedicate Tuesday night writing races to writing Hartog.
- Thursday is a CW free day… reserved for writing – looking to hit four Fiction Friday inclusions.
- Write and post 12.11 of Novella before the end of the lunar cycle
- Submit Pearls of Wisdom to Australian Women Online.
- Submit Graceville to Meanjin.
- April 1 – new Flash Fiction Challenge from Absolute Xpress… ideas for a story.
Editing– Edit two stories. – Beta read – no more than 4
- My entire life seems to be subsumed by editing at the moment – as Chinese Whisperings goes from strength to strength this year. In the past month there have been new stories from Em, Carrie, Paul S and Chris for CW – all of which I’ve had editorial input into. All the beta reading went into those stories. Ive also edited three stories for BOFF09 and have one left to do.
- Wrote a WA column about structural editing which got lots of fabulous feedback and helped to solidify the process in my mind – after struggling a bit.
- Editing hat took a bit of a battering when an edit I did on a piece wasn’t well received. Took a week to climb back onto the bike – but all is well now.
- I spent an entire day trying to do a rewrite of took Summer Girl to take to writing group this month – I was glad that I at least took the day to work on it, but was tired and distracted, unable to get into the guts of the story and ended up jettisoning the edits I had didand taking the original. It need another complete rewrite.
For the coming month:
- Do a complete rewrite/make over on Summer Girl (Marion suggests writing from scratch– which I think I have to agree with) for the next writers’ group in April.
- Fix the ending of ‘Pearls of Wisdom.’
- Edit and refine each Hartog installment before posting.
- After fluffing around – I am finally registered at Australian Writers Marketplace Online and renewed my QWC.
- Considering joining up for the Year of the Novel Online.. think it starts on the 1st April. If I’m going to get my novel written this year – I honestly believe this is going to be the only way to do it.
For the coming month:
- Investigate YONonline
Watch a movie a week.
This month I watched:
- Mad Max
- Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief
- C.R.A.Z.Y (French-Canadian)
This month coming:
- Remember Me
- Time Travellers Wife
- Alice in Wonderland
- The Rebound
- Date Night
- Chinese Whisperings coming along wonderfully for 2010. It is much more work than last year and while it has been draining at times, I am loving working with all the writers involved.
- eMergent Publishing has it’s first non-fiction ebook project to be completed early April for a 14th April launch.
- More talk about Captain Juan & Reclaim Sex – but no action yet. They’re no high priorities so that’s fine.
The Great Adventure
This is my year of adventure – and last month did little to embrace this. My great adventure for this coming month is to take myself off to a life drawing class. I’ve wanted to do this for the longest time and I don’t see any point in putting it off longer.